- Posted by Virginia
- On July 14, 2017
- 0 Comments
- awareness, burnout
Friday April 7, 2017 Dr. Joan Borysenko.
“You are the Medicine: Protecting your gift from burnout”.
Highlights from her summit interview, by Virginia Cox
Since Burnout is a great interest of mine, I am all ears when I hear anyone speak of this subject. Joan Borysenko, always speaks to my heart, and my experiences of Burnout match what Joan has to say.
Joan Borysenko, Ph.D., is a Harvard-trained medical scientist, licensed psychologist and spiritual educator. A New York Times bestselling author and blogger for The Huffington Post, her work has appeared in newspapers ranging from The Washington Post to The Wall Street Journal. A warm and engaging teacher who speaks worldwide, she blends cutting-edge science and psychology with a profound and palpable sense of the sacred (and a world-class sense of humor). Joan lives in the mountains of Colorado with her husband, Gordon Dveirin, and their two dogs, Sophie and Milo. You can find out more about her work, watch videos, and read articles at www.joanborysenko.com.
The Stages of Burnout: (each person is an individual, and may experience different degrees of the following two list)
- Pervasive sense of fatigue, such as not feeling rested after a night’s sleep
- Emotionally exhausted, such as trouble going to sleep, or waking up early. Acid reflux, problems with digestion and or elimination, muscular e.g. back pain, joint pain, immune system lowered, challenges with personal relationships…”snarky”, or short with a loved one, loss of a sense of personal connection.
How Burnout is able to manifest itself:
- You love and are committed to what you do
- You feel so passionate you work too hard
- You work so hard, it affects your personal life. You are last on your own list. You put others first.
- Feelings of depersonalization, emotionally deadened. You don’t want to connect with anyone.
- You display destructive habits for comfort like drinking alcohol, smoking dope, spending too much time on the computer. Feelings of generally being impaired.
- Loss of steam, weaker; less motivated to do what you love. Often looks like depression, and you go to your doctor, and they’ll try to give you anti-depressants, but it’s not depression, as it’s very specific to your life’s purpose or career.
- Fall apart physically. You might become very sick, and have to quit working
How to turn your life around before the Burnout takes hold
You cannot make a new choice until you are aware of the problem.
What’s the red flag for you? When you’re down the rabbit hole, what do you notice? E.g. you might be “snarky.” So you need to rest. It might be short-term. You must work this out before it goes to the next stage.
What can you do?
- Take a break
- Go into nature
- Vacations, which have proven to prevent burnout
- Increased sex (known to improve effectiveness at the workplace!)
- Time with friends, social network, social supports
- Need to have time unplugged- need at times, to be unavailable
We know the things that can help us out, and by doing so it has an effect on our nervous system, by delivering oxytocin; our chakras become balanced; and our vagal system enhances its automatic function.
Joan has offered a “star of light” meditation for free to help ground us, to become mindful and balance our heart chakra at
Joan ends her interview with these thoughts…
We live in a dense plane, but we can increase our understanding by looking at the theories behind quantum physics and energy. We realize the old energy had to break down in order to reconfigure into new energy. It looks dark, but life is a miracle and our precious Mother Earth can reconfigure. The chaos was here and all around the world, and we can hold in our hearts that Mother Earth can jump to a higher level. Please hold that in your hearts for all of us.